Saturday, April 7, 2007

QotW10: Second Life is a major Number Two!

like a polaroid picture...
GOT MILK?


Wow, never in my life have I been so thrilled to exit a game. Second Life really was a chore to both set up and play. I don’t understand why people get so hooked on the game; well maybe it’s because I’m a more outdoorsy person and believe in sports and REALITY. Nonetheless, I did complete the orientation island bit with its atrocious lag.

My avatar, Suiluj (Julius backwards) Allen, was the only character that had itself clad in black and seeing how black’s my favorite color, I chose it to represent me. Throughout the game, I, through the avatar, scolded people for joining the community mainly because I was irritated and wanted to annoy people. See, I don’t believe in the whole two-faced approach that individuals have when they live their lives online and in reality. It’s another form of fraud, which in essence makes them no better than the executives at Enron, only they got rich lying to people.

I picked this really retro disco area, which I’m sure no one else picked as my most favorite place in the game (really because I was developing a headache by the time I found the disco floor). Although it might not seem suitable – a cyber goth dancing – I felt the sight of my avatar ‘shaking it’ on a pretty rad-out retro disco floor was refreshing and awkward (much like myself, only I’m not down with the dancing). The fact that the disco area was really out of place made me like it even more and choosing it as my favorite destination portrays my queerness (being odd, not the type who’d hang around Market Street in Frisco a lot) and how I stick out like a sore thumb.

Eventually, I still feel that nothing beats doing something for real. Why feed your character in World of Warcraft when you could order a pizza? Why play football with fellow avatars when you could go to the park? I like donuts.

cheers all!

No comments: